Cases and Clients
Some examples of work I've done:
- Drafted and reviewed employment, services, noncompete, nondisclosure, and severance agreements for local startups, key employees, and contractors.
- Assisted a mobile applications developer in amending and restating its operating agreement, preparing equity agreements for new employees, and preparing employment agreements and non-disclosure agreements.
- Drafted data licensing agreement for international personal services company.
- Drafted and reviewed sales, licensing and employment agreements for a fitness equipment company.
- Created business entities (LLCs and S-corporations) for a variety of small businesses.
- Successfully stopped unauthorized marketing practices by an Internet competitor of an fitness equipment company.
Transactional: Food/Beverage/Live Entertainment
- Advised clients on and drafted agreements for a variety of transactions including:
- Sale of an entrepreneur's interests in two LLCs in the wine and spirits industry
- Purchase of the assets of a nightclub, including intellectual property
- Transfer of LLC interests and employment and equity agreements for a restaurant franchise owner
- Purchase of an LLC member's interest in a local brewing company
Litigation: Employment/Civil Rights/Health Fields
- Lead counsel in civil rights, wrongful death, and medical malpractice suit against Eastern North Carolina sheriff and jail medical services providers, resulting in significant settlements.
- Obtained jury verdict for four health care industry clients on all claims in unpaid wage and overtime suit against former employer in Durham County Superior Court.
- Obtained significant settlement at mediation for Eastern North Carolina health care industry client for claims including wrongful termination, disability discrimination and Family and Medical Leave Act ("FMLA") violations.
- Obtained settlement at mediation for health care industry client in suit filed in Chatham County for wrongful discharge, overtime violations, and violations of the Retaliatory Employment Discrimination Act ("NC REDA").
- Obtained settlement at EEOC conciliation for Eastern North Carolina client regarding allegations of Title VII racial discrimination and retalation.
- Successfully represented Alamance County employee with regard to gender discrimination, pregnancy discrimination, and retaliation claims, reaching a confidential settlement.
- Successfully represented Pitt County employee with regard to racial discrimination and retaliation claims, reaching a confidential settlement.
- Obtained award in Wake County court for retaliation and wrongful termination of 3 Raleigh health care industry employees.
- Obtained jury verdict for e-commerce consultant in Wake County court against claims including fraud, breach of contract and trademark infringement and winning judgment for client on counterclaims of unfair trade practices.
- Obtained significant settlement for biotech contractor in suit for unpaid commissions in Durham County court.
- Successfully defended employer in claim for money owed in Wake County court, obtaining dismissal of all claims.
Transactional and Litigation: Intellectual Property: Copyright/Trademark/Domain Name
- Successfully defended a web developer against claims of copyright and trademark infringement, resulting in dismissal of claims.
- Defended client in trademark cancellation action before federal Trademark Trial and Appeal Board ("TTAB"), resulting in amicable settlement.
- Successfully represented a defendant in a BitTorrent copyright infringement claim filed by an overseas adult entertainment company. After defendant's motions to sever and to proceed anonymously were granted, plaintiff accepted significantly reduced settlement.
- Advised a health and wellness entrepreneur on domestic and international trademark issues.
- Advised on trademark issues and filed trademark registration applications for a variety of businesses, including:
- a national children's clothing business with a significant Web presence
- a Raleigh, NC data hosting company
- a sports apparel startup
- a Charlotte marketing company
- Assisted an SEO entrepreneur in resolving Uniform Domain Name Resolution Procedure initiated by a giant of the tech industry.
- Represented nationally known hip-hop music group in negotiation of a recording contract with an independent label and production agreements with outside producers.
- Represented filmmakers in a business dispute regarding the terms of a North Carolina limited liability company ("LLC") operating agreement.
Litigation: Consumer Law
- Successfully represented purchaser of new car in NC Lemon Law dispute with manufacturer, with manufacturer agreeing to repurchase car and pay attorneys' fees prior to arbitration hearing.
- Negotiated a settlement regarding property title issues between a homebuyer and a developer, avoiding litigation and foreclosure proceedings.
- Advised a North Carolina homeowner regarding options in dispute with a home mortgage lender, including short sale, deed in lieu, and foreclosure prevention programs.